Key focus areas
The technologies selected as our priority areas are ICT as well as micro- and nanotechnology. Of the great themes of our society, the key ones for our school are energy and environment as well as health and wellbeing.
Information and communication technologies
- Enabling technologies and functions for ICT: micro- and nanotechnology, microelectronics and radio engineering
- Communications engineering and signal processing: combines hardware (electronics) research with computer science to resolve grand challenges of digitalization and to develop technology for future ICT infrastructure.
- Cross-disciplinary and applied research: studies the use of technology and utilizes synergy of different research fields to integrate digital and hardware assets for future ICT and applications
Advanced energy solutions
- Smart energy systems, smart grid, energy harvesting and distribution
- Control and automation of distributed and renewable energy production
- Electric and hybrid vehicles and drivetrains, motor drives;
- Lighting, smart building technologies and services, sensors for monitoring the use of energy
Materials and sustainable use of natural resources
- Advanced materials for electronics and photonics, such as tailored semiconductors, graphene and nanostructured materials
- Innovative device concepts for sensors, solar cells, lasers, LEDs etc.
- Micro- and nanotechnology based future ICT, intelligent micro and nanosystems (e.g., nanorobots, integrated circuits for IoT, micro/nano/bio interactions)
Health and wellbeing
- New value driven models of health care delivery utilizing modern ICT
- Methods to identify individuals at the highest risk for atherosclerosis, heart failure, cancer, diabetes, and neurodegenerative and psychiatric disorders
- Technology for independent and safe living of aging population and for rehabilitation of post-traumatic people
Information on research activities on our research information portal (research.aalto.fi)